A Strategy for Teacher Professional Learning
The Learning Leaders Strategy was published by the Department of Education in March 2016. The strategy sets out the department’s vision for the next 10 years as “Every teacher is a learning leader, accomplished in working collaboratively all partners in the interests of children and young people.”
The Strategy prioritises five key areas as follows:
- Teacher Professional Learning Framework – empowering teachers to build on their strengths and access additional support, through combinations of learning approaches geared towards personal learning and career preferences and reflecting the needs of their pupils.
- Development and Dissemination of Good Practice – supporting the identification and harnessing of innovative practice in professional learning already in the system in order to effect improvement and develop ‘next’ practice.
- Building Professional Learning Communities – supporting closer collaboration between practitioners, schools and school clusters and professional learning providers.
- Building Leadership Capacity – strengthening the current support and professional learning for school leaders.
- Engagement – engaging with practitioners and other stakeholders across the system on the actions arising out of this Strategy.
CCEA supports the Learning Leaders strategy and will work with all educational partners to promote it support its implementation.